Wednesday, April 8, 2009

News Flash! Zombies Attack the Bookmark

I have gained a new appreciation for Jane Austen this last week, more specifically, for "Pride and Prejudice," a book I was forced to read in high school (thanks a lot Mrs. Hansen). I hated the book.

Now, before I start receiving hate comments from you Darcyophiles who read the book every year, I want you to know I consider it to be great and classic literature- for someone else. "A Tale of Two Cities" or "To Kill a Mockingbird" are more my style of classics. But, I am considering reading "Pride and Prejudice" in its new incarnation- "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith.

How can you go wrong with an opening sentence that not only embodies the classic style of Jane Austen but includes a warning about zombie attacks? "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains."

This has turned out to be the hottest book on the shelves this last week, not just here at the Bookmark, but in stores around the country. The publisher has already gone back to the presses for two reprints. We sold our last copy on Friday, three days after it arrived in the store. And, what's worse, somebody stole the "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" poster we had hung up in the store to promote the book. They stole it from a main aisle, in broad daylight, with the lights on! I don't know about anyone else, but I'm blaming zombies.

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith is published by Quirk Books and is $12.95 in paperback.

No comments: