Monday, December 22, 2008

Countdown. Three Days 'Til Christmas

It's the final push for shoppers this week, looking for the perfect gift to put under the tree for that special someone. Retail has been a roller coaster ride this year, and bookstores have not stayed out of that amusement park. But, it seems this morning that more people are looking for books in the store than have in the last week.

My own Christmas shopping is not done (I haven't really even started- I know, I know, give me grief later when I have time for it). But, one of the things that made me feel really good was that each of my kids specifically requested books this Christmas, and not just a book, but books. Multiple. More than one. I think I can accommodate that!

"Tales of Beedle the Bard" which started out slowly has continually picked up steam. I may just sell nearly all what I brought in for the store. I may even buy one.

The reissues of the Ian Flemining's James Bond books in the pulp fiction covers are suddenly catching some attention, along with the James Bond Encyclopedia.

Local author, and friend of the bookstore, Brandon Sanderson has written the Mistborn series which had helped our Sci-Fi/Fantasy section to have the best month we've ever had. And, we can't forget Brandon Mull, another local author who has parents coming to the store to find copies of his Fablehaven series. One of my daughters has been begging me for book four in the series (sorry, dear, it doesn't come out until March, and I don't think I'll be getting an advanced reading copy).

I'm almost out of the complete, 4 volume Twilight boxed set. Stephanie Meyers vampires are still hot (in the book and on the movie screen) and are still selling well. Even the reissued, hardcover, slipcased, collectors edition of "Twilight" is selling- most likely to all those Twilight fans who have already read the book.

One of our personal favorites around the store has been Monkton's "The Penguin of Death." This little gift-sized hardcover book is not only hilarious, "he can kill you in any 1 of 412 different ways," but is "One of the most bizarre and engaging stories ever written. This has been one of our favorites books to handsell to customers, mainly because it sells itself.

Well, here's to hoping you get all of your shopping done, especially you guys out there (yeah, it's always the guys, I know, I'm right there with you) and that you get to all your destinations safely.

No comments: