Friday, February 1, 2008

Update to the Sacred Shelf of 10

As my constant readers know, I have in my home library a special shelf, a shelf dedicated to those books I most enjoy reading, and the only books I ever reread- the Sacred Shelf of 10. So many books, so little time- I have time to read a book once, then move on. If a book is not on the Sacred Shelf of 10, it is shelved with the rest of my collection, not to be read again, but collected for collections sake (it goes to my bibliophilic predilection, so sue me).

Several nights ago, I found myself picking up a book that I had only recently finished and began to read it once again. When I found myself 50 pages into the book, I stopped to contemplate what I was doing. This violated my own personal rules about books. Now, I realized I had a decision to make. I was rereading this book because I enjoyed it immensely, enough to move it to the Sacred Shelf; but now I must remove one book from the shelf. Those are the rules- one goes on, one comes off.

So, my friends, the decision has been made. It was difficult. I did some soul searching (meaning I stared at the list for about five minutes). Off comes Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier and on goes Twenty Chickens for a Saddle: The Story of an African Childhood by Robyn Scott. You will notice that it is only the second non-fiction book on my Sacred Shelf, but there it belongs. If you have questions as to why, see my blog of several days ago about "Twenty Chickens."

Here again is the Sacred Shelf of 10 in no particular order:

* Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
* The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
* Booked to Die by John Dunning
* The Meaning of Night: A Confession by Michael Cox
* Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
* Sophie’s World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder
* Twenty Chickens for a Saddle: The Story of an African Childhood by Robyn Scott
* The Bookman’s Wake by John Dunning
* An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears
* On Writing by Stephen King

1 comment:

Nate said...

Drew,

You interest me strangely, old chap. I will have to read about these chickens and saddles.
In the meantime, here's a link to my top ten list. Thanks for the idea!