Saturday, February 9, 2008

How long, has this been going on?

I've had several of my readers question the Sacred Shelf of 10. Primarily the questions have been- when did I add a particular book to my Shelf, how long have these books been on my Shelf, and how often do they change?

Let me answer the last question first. The Shelf changes when I find a book that I know I want to read again and again. The new book must have made a tremendous impact on me, more so than at least one of the books that is currently on the Sacred Shelf (that impact may simply be personal appeal. I, in no way, make claim to any literary superiority).

So, here is the list, once again in no particular order of favorites (I do have one or two of these that would be at the top of the list) but this time, I am showing the date when a book was added to the Sacred Shelf. I am including the year only (sorry I can't remember the month and day, but I'm getting old and the memory is starting to go).

* Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (1996)
* The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (1992)
* Booked to Die by John Dunning (1998)
* The Meaning of Night: A Confession by Michael Cox (2006)
* Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card (1995)
* Sophie’s World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder (1992)
* Twenty Chickens for a Saddle: The Story of an African Childhood by Robyn Scott (2008)
* The Bookman’s Wake by John Dunning (1999)
* An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (1998)
* On Writing by Stephen King (2000)

There have been, at my last and best count, a total of 21 books that have been on the Sacred Shelf at one time or another. Another time perhaps, I'll post the entire list.

No comments: