Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Which Are You? A Dummy or an Idiot.

This week at the Campus Store is “Which Are You?” week. Are you a Dummy? Or, are you an Idiot? No, I’m not trying to insult your intelligence, I’m simply asking which reference series do you like the most? Is it the “for Dummies” or the “Complete Idiot’s” books, both of which are very popular reference series that teach us how to do something when we know nothing about the subject (or, at least very little about it).

Dummies ChessI remember running into these series a number of years ago and picking one up for a subject which I thought I knew a little bit about- chess. OK, so I knew very little about chess and to prove it, I got beat quite often. Usually by 10 year olds who had just learned the game (I personally think they were child prodigies, but how many chess prodigies do you normally find in one place at one time?).Idiot’s Chess

The book helped me understand opening moves, how to most efficiently use pawns (even when you lose them), and how to carry out a series of moves to checkmate a king when you only have two pieces left on the board.

I have purchased a number of “Dummies” and “Idiot’s” books over the years and found most to be quite helpful in bringing me up to speed on subjects I knew next to nothing about. Even subjects I was familiar with, these books gave me tips and tricks that were very useful and cut down on time I spent trying to, learn the harmonica for example.

This week is a great time to bone up on an old familiar subject or try something completely new, as all the “Dummies” and “Idiot’s” guides are on sale. You can even drop your name in the box for some seriously cool schwag. Even if you don’t win anything the books are still a great deal and you might just learn something.

Now days, I’m even comfortable playing chess with 12 year olds.

No comments: